Thursday, August 29, 2024

Far Away Stars / Cloudy Day

Far Away Stars, detail

velvet, silk, cotton, natural dyes, cotton thread, hand quilted to two layers of wool 2024

233 x 132 cm or 91 x 52 inches 

Far Away Stars:  Full view

This piece was started around 2011 when I was teaching myself about natural dyes.  What you see here are my small beige learning experiments that I made while using plants from my yard.  The fabrics are joined together in horizontal rows.  Since those first days, I have added more three-dimensional horizontal tucks to catch your eye and that refer to the horizon line.  

The horizon line is our constant friend that gives a place to look beyond and enter a reverie.  
Cloudy Day, full view

Cloudy Day, cotton and velvet shapes attached with cotton and wool thread to the wool backing cloth.
Hand stitched and hand quilted.  233 x 132 cm or 91 x 52 inches  2024

Cloudy Day is a surprise on the second side of this quilt. 
It is one of my two-sided quilts.

There is a horizon line on this side too.


In progress for 13 years, Far Away Stars / Cloudy Day had its first public showing in 2024 in the UK at the Festival of Quilts.   Part of the solo exhibition:  Softer and Dreamier