Thursday, August 31, 2023

Memory of Wikwemikong


Memory of Wikwemikong

2008, dyed rayon and cottons, layered and hand quilted with embroidery thread, 74 x 25"



In honour of the blue moon that happens tonight, August 31, 2023, I am posting Memory of Wikwemikong, a quilt that I made in 2008.

It is one of the first pieces I made having to do with cosmic imagery and the night sky.

I live on Manitoulin Island and am humbly aware of the great spiritual presence of this place, the ancestral home for thousands of years of the ojibwe peoples.

I look out over Manitowaning Bay towards the Wikwemikong Penninsula.

I laid out the layers of fabric that make up this piece when I was not at home.  I relied on my memory of what is, when I am home, my daily view.   (hence the title)


The back of the quilt is made up of four pieces of dyed rayon.  Hand quilted.

 Memory of Wikwemikong sold into private collection this month out of Guildworks.

These are the only photos that I have of it.